Page 1 of 2

Character design

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:23 pm
by zaved
I'm had this idea through a friend of mine. Over his very funny joke, I wanted to make a comic strip. So, I started designing the characters. These are the attempts.

perspective, front, side

Image

This is for Asif and his little party who are interested in doing comic strips :D

Re: Character design

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:33 pm
by asifshahid
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!! ki bolbo :).......awesome zaved bhai....!!!!!!!...It's time to wake up :)

Re: Character design

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:41 pm
by asifshahid
Zaved bhai....conceptart.org ee comic/art er onek idea pawa jay...you can have a look it....just design idea.....

Re: Character design

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:04 pm
by zahidur59
WOW! ke rokom somoy lagse korte? Would love to see some other expressions on his face. Sad, LOL, lust, embarrassed ...

Re: Character design

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:22 pm
by zaved
All together 12-15 hours I guess. I'm very slow indeed. And honestly, I never did anything like this before with precise measurements. The perspective one was drawn first and that took a few minutes with pencil on paper. Then scanned and inked in photoshop. From that, the geometry of the face was created to draw the other two angles. Again, on pen and paper and a few minutes.

The coloring took all the time. Done in photoshop CS2. Laptop mouse pad. I don't have a desktop and my lappy is about 4 years old, gave me a lot of trouble and frustration.

Re: Character design

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:27 pm
by zaved
Just to give an idea of the process, I'm posting this. I posted the final outcome in some other thread.

Image

The inking was done in photoshop - another painful and time consuming process.

Re: Character design

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:39 pm
by asifshahid
coooooool !

Re: Character design

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:54 pm
by zahidur59
Sorry but couldn't resist the draw over. Wanted to share some personal opinions.

Image

I personally like to clean up the primary pen/pencil works as less as possible. Maybe cleaning just the face and hands and parts like that. But still, as less as possible. Gives the piece more originality plus depth. You'll see what I mean If you look at the jeans on the top left one.

Re: Character design

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:07 pm
by zaved
Hey Zahid, no harm done.

This piece was not 100% finished and probably never will be. It lacks in details at so many places. The face, hair, eyes, shirt, jeans - everything needs plenty more touch-ups. Coloring is enjoyable but tiring and too much for my patience.

Anyway, the coloring method I follow requires a clean line art. That helps to put down the base color. And when I have a subtle base color with appropriate shapes and lines, the shading becomes easy. And in most cases, you probably don't want to leave the shades of your rough pencil sketch. Because, if you do, your coloring is never complete. You have to, again, HAVE to make up the intended shading with appropriate colors, not pencil hatches or blends.

I'm feeling like we are building up a team, so, are you guys in?

Re: Character design

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:19 pm
by zahidur59
But why would you need a clean art to color it! I'm not against it, just wondering as you can always use the blend mode of layers. What I usually do is scan my sketch in photoshop and then set the layer’s blending to “Multiply“. Then I can add any number of blank layers underneath it(Sketch layer) and add colors without worries.

Oh here is an example -

Image
Image

Re: Character design

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:33 pm
by zaved
Yes of course, everybody has their own way of working adjusted according to their comfort levels. I also put the rough sketch at the top in a multiplied layer just for the sake of my shading. But I don't want to keep the rough layer anywhere in the final outcome.

Your example looks stunning and it has it's beauty on it's own merit. And it all depends upon what your intention is and what method you are comfortable with.

Re: Character design

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:39 pm
by zahidur59
Agreed :D

Re: Character design

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:42 pm
by asifshahid
Zahid bhai, apnar comic gula up koren na......:)

Re: Character design

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:01 pm
by zahidur59
Ok .. let me put some in a new topic

Re: Character design

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:06 pm
by ranabrt
Oshadharon boss!!!