Zaved Hossain

SPOTLIGHT is our new way of reaching out towards a designer/artist/animator with the Distorted Designers community. Here anyone can ask our nominated designer/artist/animator questions related to that designer’s or artist’s work, area of expertise.
admin
Site Admin

ImageImageImage

Zaved Hossain - a NSS Engineer at Telco, a telecommunication company based in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Amidst his busy and hectic schedule, he manages to find some precious time to do what he loves the most…which is, to draw!!! Yes, our spotlight artist of the month of June is none other than Zaved.
A man who pays a lot of attention to details, whether he is sketching or doodling on a piece of tissue paper. He is a master of capturing emotions and expression when painting human caricature with his skilled hands. Graduated from BUET and harboring a degree in EEE, Zaved a self-taught artist derives his inspirations from the likes of Jeffry “CHAMBA” Cruz, Joynul Abedin, Mostofa Monwar.

So what are you waiting for? Fire away if you have any questions for our spotlight artist of the month. He will try to answer your questions to the best of his ability. Please remember, questions you have must be based on his work or related to his style of work and skills. He will try to help you out as much as possible.

Spotlight Rules
Any kind of non related replies will be deleted.
Thanks

KiLLSWiTCH

Zaved bhai!!! First of all...CONGRATS! being under the spotlight must feel good eh? :D I have few questions bro and here I go :D:D

1. What type of pencils do you use when doing a detailed sketch? Like, 2B, 3B...
2. Ok, so which type of pencil do you prefer to use when doing outlines of your composition. Most times we use wrong type of pencils while outlining and that leaves a bad hard stroke on the paper which remains even after we erase it.
4. Eraser - I could only find a soft 6b eraser made by Faber Castel. Any particular preference you have? I tried putty eraser...but its hardly usable. I am looking for a pencil tip shaped eraser for cleaning very thin lines in my sketches. Do you know if it even exists. Would be handy if the ball point eraser was available no? :P
So much to eat, so little time !
asifshahid
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted
Full Name: Asif Shahid

Okay, now my turn :)

Questions:
1. How do you are feeling as a nominated spotlight designer here?
2. As we know you have a fascination in Cartooning and worked in UNMAD. So do you have any plan to work in this cartoon industry in future?
3. If YES then what set up you will prefer? I mean skills.

apatoto ei...pore mone porle aro ask korbo.
Thanks
Asif Shahid
Sydney, Australia 🇦🇺
zaved
Full Name: Zaved Hossain
Expertise: Cartoon or Comics

KiLLSWiTCH wrote:Zaved bhai!!! First of all...CONGRATS! being under the spotlight must feel good eh? :D I have few questions bro and here I go :D:D

1. What type of pencils do you use when doing a detailed sketch? Like, 2B, 3B...
2. Ok, so which type of pencil do you prefer to use when doing outlines of your composition. Most times we use wrong type of pencils while outlining and that leaves a bad hard stroke on the paper which remains even after we erase it.
4. Eraser - I could only find a soft 6b eraser made by Faber Castel. Any particular preference you have? I tried putty eraser...but its hardly usable. I am looking for a pencil tip shaped eraser for cleaning very thin lines in my sketches. Do you know if it even exists. Would be handy if the ball point eraser was available no? :P
Hey Dhanad, it's an one of a kind experience for me being under the spotlight or any light :). Now, answering your questions.

1. 2b, 4b and 6b. All 3 of them.
2. I always use a 2b mechanical pencil for outligning. A 2H is actually better suited for the purpose, but it's too light for my old eyes. I always use the softest touch of my hand when I'm doing the initial outlines and most of the times, I do not erase them from the final piece. The details or the 4b/6b hatches usually cover them up.
3. Erasers, hmm. Erasers are important when you are blending. Which I do not usually do. Both because I'm not good at it and I do not like it. My style is hatching/cross hatching where chance of error is very low or covering up the mistakes is easy. Still, I use normal Staedtler pencil eraser. I bought one 4 years back, it still has 7 unused sharp corners. But there are professional tolls like kneadable erasers. Also normal Staedtler erasers cut into sharp small triangular peices work just fine.
Looking at life through the eyes of a tier hub
zaved

smasif wrote: 1. How do you are feeling as a nominated spotlight designer here?
Definitely honored. I see many great graphic designers around and I'm well aware of their works. And being chosen among these great professionals as the first one is undoubtedly an achievement I'd say.
smasif wrote:2. As we know you have a fascination in Cartooning and worked in UNMAD. So do you have any plan to work in this cartoon industry in future?
Yes, Of course!
smasif wrote:3. If YES then what set up you will prefer? I mean skills.
To do that, I have to have sufficient amount of time in my hand. I want to do professionally rather than half heartedly. It's not going to be anything sooner. But a definite craving is there as alaways.
For cartoons, I'd like to have a web magazine. But for traditional media, I'd prefer comics. And I'll need people with good drawing skills. Those who have great character design, environment design and inking skills. I'm not a professional artist and probably never will be as good as one. So, I'll need help from skillful people.
KiLLSWiTCH

wow, thanks for the prompt reply. About the erasers...yes i bought those kneadable erasers from Modern Stationary in New Market, it works fine for taking dark patches/shades from the sketch. Most cases when you are working, your hands smudges the art causing the drawing and page to become dirty. Especially the thin highlights tend to become dull...I hate that, and I guess your idea of cutting out pieces from erasers is a good technique to smear off dirty highlights. Thanks for the buzz Zaved bhai! Hope to see some more stuffs from you!
So much to eat, so little time !
pagol
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted
Full Name: Koba
Expertise: Jack of all, master of NONE

CONGRATS Zaved bhai !!!

amar kichu ask korar nai :)

party miss koiren nah.
** KISS Principle **
chhagol
DD Addict
DD Addict
Full Name: Mamun Khandaker

Congrats Zaved vai. Ei e shujog. Ei shujoge kichhu ekta koren. Kopaiya vaag kore felen...
MAMUN KHANDAKER
Technical Lead
Monstarlab Bangladesh Ltd.
mahmudvfx

CONGRATS Zaved bhai... u r the first under spotlight.. .. apner to ai khusi te party deya uchit...

Questions: apner ki kokhono art guloke animate korte ichche hoise?
parthasarker
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted
Full Name: Partha Sarker
Expertise: Web Design

Congratulation "Zaved bhai"........... Unmad is one of my fav megazine....

my que....
1. What is very necessary for being a cartoonist? do you have any guideline for newer.........

Thanks
akela
DD Addict
DD Addict
Full Name: Abu Ali Farmidi
Expertise: Jack of all, master of NONE

Congrates Zaved bhai.... :dd:
Thanks admin for being informing us few details ab Zaved bhai... :D
.?.FFU007.?.
zaved

mahmudvfx wrote:CONGRATS Zaved bhai... u r the first under spotlight.. .. apner to ai khusi te party deya uchit...

Questions: apner ki kokhono art guloke animate korte ichche hoise?
Of course ichcha hoise. Ahsan Habib (editor Unmad) always says that, there are steps to proceed to animations. First drawing cartoons, characters, then comics and then animation. I haven't been able to jump up to the second stage. And animation needs character movement studies. Which is difficult, time consuming and require more skills which I still do not have.
amit
Proud Member
Proud Member
Full Name: Amit Mojumder
Expertise: Web Design

hello Zaved Bhai

definitely delighted to find you right here.

Dont have question.

All the best
http://amitmojumder.net (personal folio)
http://stepsg.com (design studio)
zaved

parthasarker wrote:Congratulation "Zaved bhai"........... Unmad is one of my fav megazine....

my que....
1. What is very necessary for being a cartoonist? do you have any guideline for newer.........

Thanks
Thanks for the greetings and great to know that you like Unmad.

The only necessary thing you need to have to become a cartoonist is to be able to draw cartoons. Subtle, isn't it :) Actually, you need to have the ablity to draw, which god was gracious enough to give us all. Cartoons are not different from serious/normal/formal drawings. You increase the size of the nose, reduce the chin, broaden the lips, diform the figure etc. in a manner that the whole thing doesn't look abnormal.
For example, check out the two characters:

Character 2 is definitely funnier than 1. You just have to mix your imagination and skills to make things laughable without trying harder.
shabbir
Proud Member
Proud Member
Full Name: Shabbir Hossain
Expertise: Other...

Zaved bhai first of all congratulation to be the first person under DD Spotlight (Y) we feel proud to have you in DD community. You truly a brilliant artist and has sharp concept in sketch. To be very frank I am a great fan of your sketch though i dont have that much knowledge in sketch. I really dont know what should I ask you and I dont have that guts :oops: However here are some basic question.

1. How a beginner can start doing sketching? I mean what type of process/steps should she/he follows?
2. should they start sketching with their imagination or should do what they are seeing?
3. From my small knowledge, I think blending and lighting is the toughest part. So what is the easiest way of learning this?

I hope your answer will help us (my type of student :-)) a lot

Take care.
Shabbir
Last edited by shabbir on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “SPOTLIGHT”