What Is My Goal As a Designer..??

Discuss on topics related to Art or Design. Inappropriate topics will be moved to their respective sections.
akela
DD Addict
DD Addict
Full Name: Abu Ali Farmidi
Expertise: Jack of all, master of NONE

An unfocused goal is not only difficult to obtain but also frustrating to attempt.
Many Designers establish vague goals in their careers, such as:

“My Goal is to have my own practice, someday.”
“I want to produce the most creative architecture in the area!”
“Maybe I’ll work for this firm for another year. After that I don’t know. I’ll work for another firm that will challenge me more and appreciate my design talent.”
I’ll wait until the right opportunity hits, and bang, I'm out of this firm in my own!”

So what is my Goal as a Designer...Is It clear to me...?? Lets clear now...
Last edited by akela on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

.?.FFU007.?.
asifshahid
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted
Full Name: Asif Shahid

Very nice thread akela.
I love art, but why? Coz, from the very beginning of my life I learned art and participated in lot of art competitions and won 2nd prizes. I rarely won first prizes :( Anyway I continued art till my S.S.C. after that I detached from art. But I practiced cartoon lot. Just copied from Tintin and Unmad. After H.S.C I got my first computer. I copied/drew a Fan Art(Nagar Baul Poster) with MS PAINT :P I didn't know there is something killing software like PHOTOSHOP. Within few days I became to know about Photoshop. And from then I became designer for myself :) I designed lot of James poster on that time only for myself (p.s I was a big big fan of James/Feelings). These practice make me more skilled in Photoshop. In 2003 I started design for clients. I didn't have any idea about the graphic design industry in Bangladesh even graphic design. But I designed for myself. Though my graduation is in CSE, I never code :) I designed. After graduation I got a good offer from a company and joined. So now I can say I am in appropriate position in appropriate track. Design is my life :)

According to this topic I design for my passion and my goal is to learn lot and server better. There is no doubt that I am still learning. Currently my interest on : Color theory, Lighting-shadings and compositions.

Here is my first two digital arts in Photoshop with mouse and last one is in 2008. I lost the drawing with MS Paint :(

Image Image Image

Thanks
Last edited by asifshahid on Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asif Shahid
Sydney, Australia 🇦🇺
akela
DD Addict
DD Addict

Its truly fantastic brother...really ur on the right way on ur track..thanks for sharing this... :D
.?.FFU007.?.
famescreen
Full Name: Mohammad Hossain (মোহাম্মদ হোসেন)

yeahh....very thoughful thread akela bhai. and Asif bhai...your designs/artwork/drawings are awesome......now lemme say something. designers (like me) may be will be disaapointed. but this is just my estimation...

most of d designers dont know their goal. its like will design something now and will do better in next time to impress the so called BOSS. and then dunno the future. just because the client/boss (whateva) even doesnt know/doesnt want to agree that its a art..its a creative work which is so much precious and unique. may be i am talking about the returns. but i am also talking abt the honour which is very much appreciated and expected frm others....anyways...i went to different track i think...but yes.....design korte moja lage..thats the main thing....and the goal is to be ....wait a min..whats my goal ? see? i am also confused! i dunno even my goal as a designer....(thats the thing happens with most of d designers! :( .. )
Mohammad Zakir Hossain
Web Master
+234 708 319 7862 (Nigeria)
zkr.hssn@gmail.com
http://www.fame-screen.com
asifshahid
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted

Ya Zakir bhai, I understand your concern. Graphic Design and Web Design are full of goal/dead line oriented and for bosses/clients. But those who love to design or art should practice for their own. Client/Office er kaj korte ar koto bhalo lage....majhkhane ami onek boared hoye gechilam.....pore for self learning Apple and Guava study korlam and aklam....I really enjoyed that and inspired hoye aro akar plan kortesi....ei dhoroner kaj korar agroho ami Zahid bhai theke paisi. I saw him to do sketches and color in photoshop after office time at office. So my friends and seniors I will suggest to do something for your own beside office work. Tahole kokhoni ar boar lagbena...It could be Sketch, Oil paint, Cartoon, 3D works, Coding, Photography, Traveling, Playing Games anything :) I hope any of these will reduce your boarness and give inspiration to move forward.
Last edited by asifshahid on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Asif Shahid
Sydney, Australia 🇦🇺
KiLLSWiTCH

Hmm...we are living in a period where the local community is shifting their attention to better and innovative designs. They are finally realizing the importance of international quality designs for both local and foreign market. I remember, just 6 years ago most ppl wouldnt even give a rat's ass about designs in general...I mean to say that today design standard in bd is much much better than before and thanks to some really good design studios and talented and visionary ppl in our country. This is something i never thought would happen and i used to feel je this field is not a prestigious field...i mean ppl would be impressed if you were studying medicine, bba, economics, etc. and they would never give a respectable attention/value to design/art. I did my bachelors in computer science (which i also love) where as my heart and soul was always into arts, designs, architecture, etc. However I stopped painting and drawing in 2003 as I had to concentrate on my studies.

Today I am working as a web-designer/developer and graphic designer at a reputed firm and i am pretty happy with how things have unfolded for me. I am lucky. I see talented ppl and i always try to inspire them. Seeing others inspire me in return as well.

If we, the design community in bd dont help each other then how can we ever reach the level of our neighboring countries. We need to be trend setters and not followers, we need ppl with visions. I believe each of us as a designer, artists should inherit these 2 qualities - "trend setters and visionaries". Its the only way we can grow and evolve to something bigger, better. I have seen designers who dont bother abt evolving, who dont bother abt trying something new...they want to play safe...oh yes, clients...they will always tell us to do it this way and that way. What saddens me is that we are designers, artists...our main function is to express ourselves to the world...its our duty as artists, expressionists to make the client realize there are better way to do things. Its understandable that clients wont always be ready to listen to you, but that's the thing....this is the ART, the art of making clients fall for your work. Once they believe in you they will open heartedly listen to what you have to say. Atleast they will give you a chance to express yourself.

Today I can safely say that bd is moving forward...but we can do better. Recently Dreamworks signed an agreement with Bollywood to produce Hollywood quality animation and special fx in indian films and ads. Mainly because Dreamworks believed in the skills and talents of indian artists/designers. How? Because the indian design community evolved to something that got Hollywood's attention. We can do it too, we can by sharing ideas and contributing to the design community. In the end if some1 helps the design community then he is actually helping himself as well. Think about it...the more stronger, better the design community is in bd the more importance the society will give you as a designer. The more importance the society gives you the better the chances are for you in getting recognized and appreciated.
So much to eat, so little time !
akela
DD Addict
DD Addict

famescreen wrote:yeahh....very thoughful thread akela bhai. and Asif bhai...your designs/artwork/drawings are awesome......now lemme say something. designers (like me) may be will be disaapointed. but this is just my estimation...

most of d designers dont know their goal. its like will design something now and will do better in next time to impress the so called BOSS. and then dunno the future. just because the client/boss (whateva) even doesnt know/doesnt want to agree that its a art..its a creative work which is so much precious and unique. may be i am talking about the returns. but i am also talking abt the honour which is very much appreciated and expected frm others....anyways...i went to different track i think...but yes.....design korte moja lage..thats the main thing....and the goal is to be ....wait a min..whats my goal ? see? i am also confused! i dunno even my goal as a designer....(thats the thing happens with most of d designers! :( .. )
Thanks for ur very true comment dear bro...all of u r distorted from ur goals as u think..but all of u r harmonized in an alike way..on DD..isn't it..?..That is working spirit to make a goal...so keep going......... :D
.?.FFU007.?.
pagol
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted
Full Name: Koba

ami r ki bolbo ...

year 2000 a jokhon designing start kori tokhon goal silo. world er kono boro ak company te job kora and designing er upor boro kono degree neya... but ota r hoilo nah... designing a kaj korlam.. besh kisu din.. akon ami r nejey k designer boli nah... businessmen boli.. designing khub akta akon r kora hoi nah. client support ditay ditay din jay... akhon goal holo.. business takay boro and thik moto run korano and boro kichu kaz kora and world a famous kono company shathey kaj kora... asa kori parboo.... Allahr rohomotay already besh kisu nam kora bhalo kaj koraysi...

ami agola niya khub akta chintito nah.. ami try koray jaboo amar lokkhey jawar.. baki ta ALLAH ichsa...

ami kichu boltay chai sobar jonoo... amar sujuk hoisay desh and bidesh a ghorar and deshi and bideshi designer and developers shathey kaj korar... amar a soto experience a bola jai... amra onek onek pisonay....

.... amarder akon o onek onek kisu shiktay hobay.... and mon k onek boro kortay hobay..... Sharing mind goray toltay hobay...... jodio amader desh a sob shujok onek kom.. but try kortay hobay.. at least....

Goal sobar kisu na kisu thake but goal jatey bastob mukhi hoy sheyta lakkho rakha uchit and tar vittitay kaj kora uchit..
** KISS Principle **
pagol
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted

Akela mama apnar Alada koray Thanks dilam :D

keno thanks dilam ata ki koitay hoibo abar ?

ata tek mama apni kotha janen josh........................................... r jai e hok :D hee hee he.. inshyallah deka hobay 24th a........
** KISS Principle **
akela
DD Addict
DD Addict

pagol wrote:Akela mama apnar Alada koray Thanks dilam :D

keno thanks dilam ata ki koitay hoibo abar ?

ata tek mama apni kotha janen josh........................................... r jai e hok :D hee hee he.. inshyallah deka hobay 24th a........
Thank U Very Much........... :D
.?.FFU007.?.
shabbir
Proud Member
Proud Member
Full Name: Shabbir Hossain
Expertise: Other...

perhaps its my turn :-)

in my childhood my aim/goal was to be a Truck Driver :D cause i have seen its power, its strength, its wildness and its value.. era rasta diye gelei manush shore jeto..rasta faka hoye jeto...truck er shamne keu thakle agey bhagey truck k side diye dito cause they know what it is...what it is capable to do... amar eto kichu bolar piche ektai karon that is in Bangladesh still we (designers) are not getting proper attention or value or respect from others like one Truck driver gets...still long way to go my dear all friends :-)

Like Dhanad said DreamWrok ekhon India theke kaaj korabe...cause they have seen their designer's power, strength, wildness and moreover their creativity. India te onek company ache jegulo ekhon World er giant companies gulor shate compare kora jay without any doubt. They know how to respect a designer and how to treat them...they know what kind of facilities a design wants.. but Bangladesh e eta possible na 100%. unfortunately ekhane sei dhoroner company, culture and facilities nai.

But recently kichu companies hoche jara onektai (i would say 50%) based on creativity. I know some of them.. so my point is ei typer companies aro hote hobe bangladesh e...amader bangali boss or client der r ektu creative hote hobe...shudhu shobuj ar lal rong diye (bangladeshi flag color) patriotism dekhale cholbe na...designers der k tader moto kore kaj korar shadinota dite hobe.

I hope very soon DreamWorks will come to our place and will ask to work with them :-)
Shabbir
asifshahid
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted

Very nice Shabbir bhai...Inspired again :dd:
Asif Shahid
Sydney, Australia 🇦🇺
sweetafroza
Proud Member
Proud Member
Full Name: Luthfunnahar Hussain
Expertise: Web Design

hmmm sobbai eto sundor kotha likhese... sobar view gula khubi chomotkar..:) thanks all ... Now its my turn..

Chotobela theke poralaekhai valo,, sweet meye, ma babar 3no. meye.. :). choto bela thekei Drawing er upor khub nesha silo.. eta peyesilam amar Mamar Kash Theke..Uni Kubi oshadahron chobi akten..and Choto Choto Chora Likhten....But Choto Bela theke Issa Silo pilOT hobo and tar pasa pasi charukolai porbo....Kintu HSC te result temon valo holo na tai vablam...PILOT Bad , Doctore Hobe..cause Bang,Telapoka, Kut te khub moja petam ami - even ekhono pai... :)..But Abbu Amake Ekhane Thakte dibe na So INDIA chole gelam 98 e then ASE/BTECH Korlamm,, Prasuna Korlam Software Eng. C++,Visual BASIC was my favorite subject. and onek kajo koresi.. tokhon Amar GOAL Silo.. C++/Visual Basik e BOSS Hobo..:) but setaw holo na..:( but drawing kokhono bad dai nai...then DIM korlam.. 3D Max and Flash and After Effect, Director valo lagte suru korlo .. egulotew onek kaj hoise.. but ..

2003 te deshe ese .. designing e elam.. tokhon theke ekhon porjonto designing e asi... And Then so called BOSS and Client Der issa Moto Design kora.. as Zakir Said..But Onek Onek Kaj koresi and Onek Mojaw Peyesi Everytime New New Concept Ber kora.. Not Bad , sobsomoi try kori Design ke simple rakar jonno...SIMPLICITY WITH THE BEST.. and still now enjoing very much..:)

Now amar Goal Ektai -- Nije Kisu Establish Korbo.... Doya Koiren sobai .. Wanna Be a SuccessFULL WOMEN.. :)
But I m happy to know that Bangladesh ekhon r Pichiye Nai... :dd:

BUT Biye Hole GOD KNws THAT NEXT GOAL KI HOBE... :(
:)
asifshahid
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted

Very nice Afroza. Inshallah we will see you as a successful woman soon :)
Asif Shahid
Sydney, Australia 🇦🇺
pagol
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted

To sweetafroza - apnar history poray moja lagloo..... apnar jonooo Doa takloo apni jatay soon akta Tak wala Mama pan :d hee ( never mind just kidding )

biya por normally goal hoiloo akta nice family and nice partner jay husband plus best friend hobay.... sweet akta/dota baby.. nice akta home, yearly akta vacation at least, travel... r ki............................... but mind it Establish hoitay giya abar onoo sob vulay jaihen nah............................ bayshi vag manus jayta koray Establish hoitay giya onoo sob vulay jai.. janen too shomay kaz shomay e kortay hoi.... otherwise jangam laiga jai life a...

amar kotha mind korlay ami SORRY.. but currently ja feel korlam tai koilam....
** KISS Principle **

Return to “Graphic Design/Art Discussion”