Concept Vs. Idea

Discuss on topics related to Art or Design. Inappropriate topics will be moved to their respective sections.
asifshahid
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted
Full Name: Asif Shahid

CONCEPT Vs. IDEA

Dear all, lets discuss on this topic. I would like to see everyone's participations on this as these two terms are widely used in every profession such as Design, Art, Photography, Movie, Media, Social, Writing and so on. Every company is looking for new concept, new idea to serve their customer better, make life easier, make the world better. So everyone from us will describe What is Concept, What is Idea to you? Are those Same? Different? in which way? Any kind of images, quotes etc. can be used to support your argument. lets start...... :twisted:

cheers!

Asif Shahid
Sydney, Australia 🇦🇺
Tariq
Proud Member
Proud Member
Full Name: Tariq Julfiker
Expertise: Artist

(H)
Last edited by Tariq on Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zahidur59
Full Name: Khandakar Zahidur Rahaman
Expertise: Jack of all, master of NONE

Amer mote Tariq ulta dour diso! First concept, then idea.
What I think is - a concept is an idea at it's abstract level. An idea is a visualization(not necessarily with graphics. Can be with words,thoughts etc) of a final product/Outcome.
Take Tariq's logo example for example,
At concept level it could be like ..
its should be attractive for the teenage group.
it should give a feeling of excitement.
etc ...

from this concept you can develop various ideas like -
it should be funky.
it should in bright color. Possibly Red.
etc ...

Note that at concept level you are defining it's say, behaviors(for lack of a better word) and at idea level you are deciding what are the possible attributes.

makes any sense? Well this is just my point of view. I definitely like to hear about others.
amit
Proud Member
Proud Member
Full Name: Amit Mojumder
Expertise: Web Design

well, first of all thanks to Asif bhai to start a nice topic.

Idea and concept are two abstract words and can be used from various perspective. It depends upon the person related to a certain field, how can he/she will use those two terms.

In my opinion, ideas are small.(not means quantity, but u can compare with small thoughts)
Concepts are BIG, vast and more specifically "A WHOLE THING"

To me in some cases, a combination of ideas create a whole concept.

From another perspective, concepts are directly related to creativity realm which can be defined as abstract.
and, ideas are more of real world related, depends on personal experience.

So, in conclusion i can state that, either a certain concept breaks into few few ideas, or few ideas create a whole concept.

Philosophical explanation pore dimune :D

Cheers !!!
http://amitmojumder.net (personal folio)
http://stepsg.com (design studio)
asifshahid
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted

that's cool...let's see what others says.

P.S. I am doing a course name - "Advance Concept Development". There we are started the course by defining/clearing the idea of "Concept and Idea". Now we, students are bit close to differentiate what is concept and what is idea, though still it's bit abstract. Anyway I will post my understanding later. cheers!
Asif Shahid
Sydney, Australia 🇦🇺
amit
Proud Member
Proud Member
Full Name: Amit Mojumder

smasif wrote: I am doing a course name - "Advance Concept Development". There we are started the course by defining/clearing the idea of "Concept and Idea". Now we, students are bit close to differentiate what is concept and what is idea, though still it's bit abstract. Anyway I will post my understanding later. cheers!
looking forward :)
http://amitmojumder.net (personal folio)
http://stepsg.com (design studio)
Tariq
Proud Member
Proud Member

(H)
Last edited by Tariq on Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tariq
Proud Member
Proud Member

(H)
Last edited by Tariq on Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tariq
Proud Member
Proud Member

(H)
Last edited by Tariq on Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shabbir
Proud Member
Proud Member
Full Name: Shabbir Hossain
Expertise: Other...

hmm good to see a nice topic and some good replies :-)
to me its very straight forward. I would say they are two distinctive ladders to the same process. An IDEA is a sparkle of creativity or originality, and a CONCEPT is a more full understanding of its execution.
Shabbir
zahidur59
Full Name: Khandakar Zahidur Rahaman
Expertise: Jack of all, master of NONE

Tariq Bahi, Apnake arektu chetay debar jonno bolchi, oesob workshop torkshop er kotha baad den. And don't take it that seriously. Amer kache mone hoese je apner answer ta thik na. Ami akta explanation o desi kano amon mone hoese. It doesn't mean that I am being stubborn about it. You should convince me otherwise. That's why its called forum. Ar dim aga na murgi aga ai torko ke negative vhabe dekhar dekha uchit na. I think in this particular case we can define it clearly. But anyway ... lets see.
sweetafroza
Proud Member
Proud Member
Full Name: Luthfunnahar Hussain

nice post asif.. and 100% agree with Zahid bhia..
concept is an unexecuted thought and must be tested among potential and current users of a product. Many ideas sound wonderful but do not work in practical reality.
he concept owes its meaning and its justification exclusively to the totality of the sense impressions which we associate with it.
so
personally i feel that je kono kaje concept jodi clear thake then IDea kaje lagai.. concept clear na kore hudai 10/12 ta Idea ber kore to luv hoi na :D..
:)
asifshahid
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted

shabbir wrote:hmm good to see a nice topic and some good replies :-)
to me its very straight forward. I would say they are two distinctive ladders to the same process. An IDEA is a sparkle of creativity or originality, and a CONCEPT is a more full understanding of its execution.
ahem! shabbir bhai ki kono definition copy-paste maira dilen? arek kholasha kore bolen :D
Asif Shahid
Sydney, Australia 🇦🇺
shabbir
Proud Member
Proud Member
Full Name: Shabbir Hossain
Expertise: Other...

na kono jayga theke copy paste kori nai....but eta onek agey ekta boi e porsilam... oitai bollam.
Shabbir
Tariq
Proud Member
Proud Member

(H)

Return to “Graphic Design/Art Discussion”