What is 2D and what is 3D?

Discuss on topics related to Art or Design. Inappropriate topics will be moved to their respective sections.
zahidur59
Full Name: Khandakar Zahidur Rahaman
Expertise: Jack of all, master of NONE

Just wondering, why are we calling Shrek a 3D! What do you call any other movie like say matrix or any movie. Why we don't call it a 3D! used same technologies. What makes Shrek a 3D and Matrix not!

asifshahid
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted
Full Name: Asif Shahid

3D actually was "3D animation". for quick delivery we removed animation...its easy to say "3D movie" rather "3D animation movie". To me all movies are 3D..because camera can be travelled around the environment, because there is a space to move. where in 2D it is not possible.
Asif Shahid
Sydney, Australia 🇦🇺
asifshahid
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted

I am looking for the answer of why meena is 2D cartoona and Shrek is 3D. I will share with you as soon as I got that. That will actually clear the whole concept. Till now according to previous discussions I feel I am right. That means all the logos that I posted are 3D, except 1st Nissan one.
Asif Shahid
Sydney, Australia 🇦🇺
asifshahid
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted

shabbir wrote:Well the fact is we don't have any solid and logical explanation of 2D and 3D (correct me if I am wrong) at this moment. Or we can arrange a poll for this :-)
Shabbir bhai...We got solid and logical explanation. You can't ignore the diagram I showed where X,Y refers 2D and X,Y,Z referes 3D. it's proven. Based on that if you draw anything on paper or surface things will look like exactly what Tariq bhai posted. Anything of those are not our creation either. :goodjob:
Asif Shahid
Sydney, Australia 🇦🇺
shabbir
Proud Member
Proud Member
Full Name: Shabbir Hossain
Expertise: Other...

the diagram you showed is not always right. I have found a very nice article about 2D and 3D. Check out the following:
http://www.siggraph.org/~rhyne/com97/com97-tut.html
Shabbir
asifshahid
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted

May be this will clear your idea on this. Quotes are taken from your provided link.

"3D viewing is complicated by the fact that computer display devices are only 2D. Projections resolve this issue by transforming 3D objects into 2D displays."

again I am using the example - the last red ball is looking 3D beacuse there light and shadows are put to make it 3D. but in paper or monitor its is being displayed as 2D. I guess your confusion is here. but the ball is 3D. And the same example is used the SIGGRAPH link -

"Lighting models also assist with viewing 3D volumes that are transformed on to 2D displays. For example, a 3D red ball looks like a 2D red circle if there are not highlights or shading to indicate depth...."

so according to that you can refer those logos(in the 1st page) like this: "These are 2D displayed logo" but logos are 3D (8)
Asif Shahid
Sydney, Australia 🇦🇺
Tariq
Proud Member
Proud Member
Full Name: Tariq Julfiker
Expertise: Artist

smasif wrote:May be this will clear your idea on this. Quotes are taken from your provided link.

"3D viewing is complicated by the fact that computer display devices are only 2D. Projections resolve this issue by transforming 3D objects into 2D displays."

again I am using the example - the last red ball is looking 3D beacuse there light and shadows are put to make it 3D. but in paper or monitor its is being displayed as 2D. I guess your confusion is here. but the ball is 3D. And the same example is used the SIGGRAPH link -

"Lighting models also assist with viewing 3D volumes that are transformed on to 2D displays. For example, a 3D red ball looks like a 2D red circle if there are not highlights or shading to indicate depth...."

so according to that you can refer those logos(in the 1st page) like this: "These are 2D displayed logo" but logos are 3D (8)
I agree ...
shabbir
Proud Member
Proud Member

I never mentioned that I will not agree what you are saying :-) I just wanted to get a better explanation :-)
murkho manush to tai bujhi kom :D

anyway its clear enough. Thanks
Shabbir
shamoon
Full Name: Shamoon Altaf
Expertise: Design Manager

(B) (B) (B)
shamoon
Full Name: Shamoon Altaf
Expertise: Design Manager

as it is much more concluded now, i hope my comments haven't hurt anyone
Tariq
Proud Member
Proud Member
Full Name: Tariq Julfiker
Expertise: Artist

amar shob jhapsha laga ... :shock:

asifshahid
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted

Shabbir bhai: you are not "murkho" that everyone knows. to me better explanations are established I guess. We all discussed all the aspects of this idea(if you draw anything on paper or still image). But I am bit confused with your another question, that is why meena is 2D, where a house or box can be showed/drawn as a 3D. I am searching for that. If I got then I will share here. got few idea from Shamoon bhai though, still need to dig down more.

And also want to say like Shamoon bhai that in this discussion If anything sounds rude(beddopi) to anyone then my apologize. Hope you will take it as a part of discussion. Very nice thread indeed. This kind of discussion is needed more and more in future to shape the knowledge.

amra onek kichui choto theke shune ba dekhe boro hoi...karon ta khuje dekhar time thakena....shob shomoy ee bhabi are eita to established ee...amar khetre ei topic ta erokom ee chilo :) shobar participation and view theke onek onek kichu clear hoyeche....thanks everyone....

If you find anything more on this please share here.

cheers!
Asif Shahid
Sydney, Australia 🇦🇺
Saad
Expertise: Film or Animation

akhon finally ki darailo?
dfkkkkakkkdufytvhnwixkwsfyvodshxgsbxjcoddkpaplscvgcvbyrqomnxvbtsdruproitpo bhjihj
fjdsjkfhldskjfhsdjkfhslkdjbcbhjsdgjhsldfgwyegehdsbcl;;hjhfsahhgieierpzdjkfhsofieldkfhjf
dfkkkkakkkdufytvhnwixkwsfyvodshxgsbxjcoddkpaplscvgcvbyrqomnxvbtsdruproitpo bhjihj[/b][color=#FF0000][color=#4040FF][color=#4080FF][color=#000000][/color][/color][/color][/color]
Saad
Expertise: Film or Animation

special thanks to zahidur59 vy
dfkkkkakkkdufytvhnwixkwsfyvodshxgsbxjcoddkpaplscvgcvbyrqomnxvbtsdruproitpo bhjihj
fjdsjkfhldskjfhsdjkfhslkdjbcbhjsdgjhsldfgwyegehdsbcl;;hjhfsahhgieierpzdjkfhsofieldkfhjf
dfkkkkakkkdufytvhnwixkwsfyvodshxgsbxjcoddkpaplscvgcvbyrqomnxvbtsdruproitpo bhjihj[/b][color=#FF0000][color=#4040FF][color=#4080FF][color=#000000][/color][/color][/color][/color]
shabbir
Proud Member
Proud Member

shamoon wrote:as it is much more concluded now, i hope my comments haven't hurt anyone
hey comeon guys this is not any personal discussion :-) we were just discussing and sharing our knowledge.... nothing serious :-) why would I mind! :-)
Thanks to everyone for your valuable thoughts :dd:
Shabbir

Return to “Graphic Design/Art Discussion”