About Print Media

Discuss on topics related to Art or Design. Inappropriate topics will be moved to their respective sections.
anisurreza
Full Name: Anisur Reza Chowdhury
Expertise: Web Design

Hi! I have some questions regarding printing media and process of printing a design

1. Is that possible to make a design in photoshop of size 640px by 480px and print it in a higher size? I have heard that printing press wants the eps file. If I export a file from photoshop as an eps file is that ok?...

2. What are standards maintained while designing for specially printing?

3. what are the types of printing, I have heard one that is PVC printing...need to know how they differs from each other.

Any helpful advice is highly appreciable.. :)

/** Anis **/
parthasarker
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted
Full Name: Partha Sarker

anisurreza wrote:Hi! I have some questions regarding printing media and process of printing a design

1. Is that possible to make a design in photoshop of size 640px by 480px and print it in a higher size? I have heard that printing press wants the eps file. If I export a file from photoshop as an eps file is that ok?...

2. What are standards maintained while designing for specially printing?

3. what are the types of printing, I have heard one that is PVC printing...need to know how they differs from each other.

Any helpful advice is highly appreciable.. :)

Hello Reza bhai

I did printing job last 7 years, I am answering some question regarding my experience...

1. You are right for press printing eps in needed for output... but if you complete the whole process within photoshop including small type.. it will very hard for better output...

Printing design photoshop files need at least 171 dpi/inch as resulation... most designer did photoshop with 200 dpi. also file must be in CMYK color.

If you print directly from photoshop your small type may blur or bold because it will process with 4 color.. even only black type will proces same way 4 color output which decrease quality.

2. For designing espacially for printing you should remember the paper size and and design will according paper size most of time (not for special case) also you need to make the design some big like 3mm extra design for each side which will cut out.

3. PVC printing is for digital printing job.. PVC is just a media for digital printing, they have some other media like transparent sticker, cloth, sticker pages etc. for paper printing you will get only paper, art paper, sticker, transparent sticker with different size as... (understanding paper size and thickness is a big thing for press print job)

Hope it will help you lot...

I hope other printing designer will help you regarding these issue.

Thanks
:)
bappy
DD Addict
DD Addict
Full Name: MD GOLAM MOHIT MOHIT BAPPY

wow partho vi pore onek kisu janlam thanks for shearing
B2P
anisurreza
Full Name: Anisur Reza Chowdhury

thanksssss partha bhai....bhaia so as ur reply its better to design in illustrator. jotoi jani aro janibar ichha jagey arki...what are the standard papersizes(invitation letter,flyer,poster)?...and suppose if i need to print a large size poster or flyer; should I have to design the actual size in illustrator?

thanks again partha bhai for the quick response...:)
/** Anis **/
parthasarker
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted
Full Name: Partha Sarker

hmm... Good designers are work with Photoshop & Illustrator same time... like illustrator is easy for doing design outline and text... Photoshop is used for behind graphical interface. if you need colorful background or image editing, you must complete that in photoshop then finish text and others with illustrator.

Sometimes for magazine or book publishing you can work directly at Quark Express or Adobe Pagemaker with Photoshop in that case illustrator is not good...

About paper size...

Here at Bangladesh basically following papers are used...

Art Paper - 22 inch X 28 inch
Offset Paper - 23 inch X 36 inch
Offset Paper - 20 inch X 30 inch
Boshundhara - 23 inch X 36 inch
Sticker Paper - 20 inch X 30 inch

Hope it will help you.

Thanks
amit
Proud Member
Proud Member
Full Name: Amit Mojumder

Partha Bhai is giving a really cool printing lesson.....thanks
http://amitmojumder.net (personal folio)
http://stepsg.com (design studio)
mahbubulislam
DD Addict
DD Addict
Full Name: Mahbubul Islam

Amit is right! Thanks Partha bhai.
asifshahid
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted
Full Name: Asif Shahid

anisurreza wrote:thanksssss partha bhai....bhaia so as ur reply its better to design in illustrator. jotoi jani aro janibar ichha jagey arki...what are the standard papersizes(invitation letter,flyer,poster)?...and suppose if i need to print a large size poster or flyer; should I have to design the actual size in illustrator?

thanks again partha bhai for the quick response...:)
Actually there are standard sizes for all stationaries and all. Few are maintained and few are not. Like for Business Card: 3.370 X 2.125 inch which is same as ID/ATM/Credit Cards. You can't change the sizes of those cards. And these are maintained internationally. Otherwise you can't punch :) So as these Business Card has same size, but not maintained coz you don't need to punch anywhere.

For poster design there is also a standard dimension. But not maintained.

Letterhead: UK usually uses A4 size for their letterhead and USA "Letterhead" (8.5 X 11 inch).

You can find standard dimensions by googling the keyword "Standard dimension of Letterhead/Poster" etc.

And yes for book, leaflet and others you need actual sizes. for billboard you dont need :) billboard er kaj naki Photoshop diyeo chaliye deya jay with 72 dpi :) Isn't interesting?

Partha bhai, nicely explained.

Thanks
Asif Shahid
Sydney, Australia 🇦🇺

Return to “Graphic Design/Art Discussion”