The Best and Worst Identities of 2009

Admin Notice, News, DD Events
parthasarker
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted
Full Name: Partha Sarker
Expertise: Web Design

Yale University Press
Designed by: Matthew Carter (Yale Typeface)

Release Date: September, 2009

Voting Highlight: 12% (152 of 1,194) Hate Paul Rand’s logo

To be perfectly fair, there is nothing formally wrong with the new logo, as it’s simply the word Yale typeset in the masterful work of Matthew Carter. But it is definitely sad to see one of Paul Rand’s most recognizable logos go away.

LendingTree
Designed by: Mullen

Release Date: July 2009

Voting Highlight: 87% (605 of 694) Voted it a Futuristic and Trendy logo

The old logo wasn’t much to get excited about but if fit the service and the audience, while the new one is awfully misguided to Terminators. Nice TV ads though.

Hilton Worldwide
Designed by: Landor

Voting Highlight: 62% (795 of 1,274) Thought the Icon was Better without Bevels

This could have been a solid corporate redesign, but then they had to go mess it up by adding unnecessary bevels, and all the elements are a little too disparately placed, sized and aligned.

Art Directors Club
Designed by: Trollbäck + Company

Release Date: November, 2009

Voting Highlight: 73% (895 of 1,226) Voted it A Step Backward

Everyone pretty much agreed: Been there, done that. For an organization catering to the creative industry this was neither creative nor, um, industrious. And the follow-up showing the logo in action didn’t help much.

Burnley
Designed by: N/A

Release Date: October, 2009

Voting Highlight: 70% (835 of 1,178) said Wow… with Sarcasm

I was actually surprised at some of the positive comments for this one, which I still think is a sorry excuse of a logo. My cat has turned out hairballs with better execution and strategy than that. Also noteworthy: some clients competed for the privilege of using this logo.

Wisconsin Department of Tourism
Designed by: Red Brown Klé

Release Date: March, 2009

Poor choices in color and typography and even poorer decisions in configuration and scale make this one of the strangest logos of the year. Live like you mean it, but design like you mean it too.

Kraft Foods

Release Date: February, 2009

While the well-known “race track” Kraft logo will remain on consumer product packaging, the parent company decided that it was too cool for them and instead opted for a crappy carnival of typefaces and random shapes.

Kraft Foods, Redux

Release Date: July, 2009

Only five months later Kraft Foods unveiled a revised logo that was supposed to be an improvement. You know the expression “Putting lipstick on a pig”? This is like switching the lipstick from the pig’s mouth to the pig’s you-know-what.

City of Philadelphia
Designed by: The Star Group

Release Date: December, 2009

Voting Highlight: 60% (942 of 1,547) deemed it cliché

One thing you don’t want to do is upset Philadelphians — and judging by the amount of traffic we got to this story, there were many — by branding them with a web font (Trebuchet) and a terribly rendered Liberty Bell.

Xe

Release Date: May, 2009

Step 1 in the Bad Corporation Protection Program: Rename the corporation. Step 2: Redesign the logo. Step 3: Hope that people forget about your old brand in a couple of years. Oh, and regarding the logo, I have no idea what is going on.

MSN

Voting Highlight: 15% (165 of 1,073) thought the butterfly was great

The butterfly icon might get a passing grade, if I were extra generous, but the typography is simply ridiculous. I stand by my original quote, that I will also use as a segue to the very worst of 2009, “[The typography] suffers from Bing syndrome: It wants to be cool and modern but it suffers from complete lack of typographic decency. (This post is also worth revisiting if you want to read a pissing match between Futurebrand designers claiming credit for the original butterfly in the comments).

Bing
Designed by: Razorfish

Release Date: June, 2009

When I first posted the new logo for Microsoft’s search engine I blasted it for using scaled typography then “Bob,” who designed the logo at Razorfish, informed us that “All the letter forms were made from scratch.” I think I preferred to think this nastiness was done unknowingly than fully premeditated. Congratulations, Bing!

My Little Pony

Release Date: Summer, 2009

Voting Highlight: 4% (43 of 921) thought this was bad

I am sure many of you will think I am crazy for including My Little Pony here and, in all honesty, there were more technically impressive and stylistically appealing logos in 2009. Yet context plays a large role in identity design and within the market and audience that My Little Pony resides in, this was a superb update that could have turned out real ugly, real fast.

Meredith Corporation
Designed by: Lippincott

Release Date: August, 2009

Voting Highlight: 2% (12 of 1,105) Voted on the new icon being Boring

A lively, colorful and bold update for a women-focused media enterprise, devoid of female clichés like the color pink or script typography. Thank you Lippincott!

Commerzbank
Designed by: Meta Design

Voting Highlight: 71% (602 of 840) Agreed this took the best from both worlds

The fact that the angle of the “K” matches the angle of the icon is reason enough to land this logo in the Best category, but everything about it is so carefully thought out and executed that there was no way I was leaving this out, even if it had its detractors.

El Banco Deuno
Designed by: Saffron

Release Date: January, 2009

I was one of the lone champions of this identity and I may have doubted myself at the time, but going back through the archives, this Mexican’s bank identity stood out from most of the entries.

Guitar Hero
Designed by: Pentagram

Voting Highlight: 55% (519 of 930) Voted this as Rockin’

While some mourned the loss of the unrefined (hence more genuine) look of the original logo, the new identity is more fitting of the billion-dollar enterprise it represents. And, a spike more or a spike less, it still rocks.

Syfy
Designed by: Proud Creative

Release Date: March, 2009

The name change got everyone in a tizzy but by now and even more so moving forward, it’s not even an issue. And it sadly obscured what turned out to be a solid redesign.

MyFonts
Designed by: UnderWare

Release Date: January, 2009

Their previous logo didn’t set the bar too high, but the new custom lettering did, not just for them, but for the whole retail type industry. Some people hated that the “My” made a hand… Well, you can talk to it because the face ain’t listenin’.

Pfizer
Designed by: Siegel+Gale

Voting Highlight: 62% (910 of 1,457) Considered the Logo Evolution an Improvement

The changes to the logo were small but they helped soften up the biggest of Big Pharma. The surrounding identity however was what made Pfizer really stand out from the rest this year.

New York Public Library
Designed by: NYPL In-house Staff

Voting Highlight: 70% (728 of 1,040) Thought the New Lion was Roaringly Great

A great visual exploration of possible lion heads led to a great new icon for New York’s beloved institution. Works great at large and small sizes, something the old lion couldn’t brag about.

Nickelodeon
Designed by: Eric Zim (wordmark)

Voting Highlight: 53% (853 of 1,609) Preferred the New vs. the Old logo

A complete overhaul of not just the Nickelodeon channel we all grew up with but of the whole enterprise that has grown into multiple channels airing in 175 countries, as well as a motion picture production company, and hundreds of Nick-branded toys and games. It’s not the nostalgic splat anymore but it’s not your attention they are after, so better deal with it. Like Syfy — perhaps even in a stylistic trend — this is a bold, simple wordmark that can carry Nickelodeon for another quarter of a century.

City of Melbourne
Designed by: Landor (Sydney)

Release Date: July, 2009

Voting Highlight: 67% (1,020 of 1,520) Thought this was Way Cool

This new identity gained early praise when we first announced it, and then we got a chance to see all the different “M”s and it became even cooler. In terms of visual execution and diversity, this was one of the strongest of the year.

AOL
Designed by: Wolff Olins

Voting Highlight: 51% (1,232 of 2,374) are Willing to Give it a Chance

Amazingly, only 28% (673) Hated It, and 19% (469) Loved It

Hold the rotten tomatoes. I agree, AOL is neither technically nor aesthetically the best logo or identity of the year. But no identity will have a bigger impact in the evolution of a brand as AOL’s. Most companies brand to match their audience, AOL is branding to create a new audience. The name may conjure the 1990s but the identity is twenty-first century all the way. Wolff Olins may be the punchline for many designers but, even if you don’t know it or care to admit it, they are having the last laugh.

Source: http://www.underconsideration.com/brand ... f_2009.php

Hope you will like it........... :)

amit
Proud Member
Proud Member
Full Name: Amit Mojumder

Dada>>Nice sharing, wanna see more :asslick: :asslick:

By the way, All are perfectly Ranked according to me...

But the best redesign of AOL no 1>>>>>> :ass: sucks
http://amitmojumder.net (personal folio)
http://stepsg.com (design studio)
asifshahid
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted
Full Name: Asif Shahid

let me digest first. then comment...too much!
Asif Shahid
Sydney, Australia 🇦🇺
parthasarker
Insanely Distorted
Insanely Distorted
Full Name: Partha Sarker

amit wrote:But the best redesign of AOL no 1>>>>>> :ass: sucks
I also could not grant it........... :(
Tariq
Proud Member
Proud Member